Shoes are important. You wear shoes to attend a wedding, a class, a meeting, and even hanging out with friends. I read some article which said that the first thing that draw attention from others when looking at you is your shoes. As a photographer, you will have to walk a lot and constantly move from one side to the other. You will also travel to some rough environment which your normal shoes or shoes made by leather can not stand.
I personally travel around Vietnam from Mekong Delta to North Vietnam. Vietnam is a coastal country, there are many fishing activities and seasape to shoot. If you love seascape, landscape or even people daily life, just travel a long Vietnam coast, you will get them all. I used to throw away a pair of shoes whenever I traveled to a coastal province. There are two reasons why I did that:
- My leather shoes contact and expose with salty water, after just 2 or 3 days. It covered in salt.
- Some are not durable enough for me to walk very long distance. I usually walk about 8 to 10 miles a day.
- Some shoes are not comfortable to wear, it hurts my feet, so I could not walk far.
Each pair of shoes I bought in Vietnam usually from 40$ to 50$. It’s not cheap at all. I thought I should try some shoes that meet my needs below:
- a good shoes must provide enough support for my heels and feel comfortable
- a pair of shoes that I can wear all day long
- Should be waterproof because as a photographer I travel to Mekong Delta to see floating markets, I travel to fish markets , fishing villages. My shoes are likely to get wet very often.
- Must be cool enough, not too hot wearing, because I live in a tropical country and It’s very hot during summer, humidity is very high.
- Durability: Must be durable. At least I can wear a few times, not just a single time like I used to have.
After that, I do some research on Amazon and happened to see those shoes and I want to give them a try.
First pair of shoes was : Keen Shoes H2 sandal
I got them for 100$ US dollars. Why I chose those shoes?
- They are very light weight and comfortable. When you wear them, you don’t feel anything, like a pair of gloves.
- They are sandals. Easy to get on and off. good to wear in a hot weather in Vietnam
- Don’t worry about exposing to salty water any more. I even stepped down the water and nothing happened. Have been wearing them for more than a year.
- Very durable. (more than a year and still good to go).
Another pair of good waterproof shoes are Rockport. I got them for only 50$ when they are on sale. Original price was 110$.
Why I chose those Rockport shoes:
- They are waterproof
- only 50$ bucks. Worth a try.
- Oxford and looks very nice with jean.
- Durable. I have been wearing them for more than 7 months and still looks like new.
- Light weight and very comfortable.
If you are photographers and looking for a good pair of shoes to travel to Vietnam, I think you should get one of them or even both. They are light weight, waterproof and very comfortable for your trip. If you are wondering what about winter in North Vietnam, What should you wear? Don’t worry. We are going to review another great pair of shoes that you can wear during Vietnam Winter in the north.
You can check out our video here to see our review:
Keen Shoes review here: